Sunday, November 8, 2009

gender inequality

I found it interesting that women tend to take secretarial positions or receptionist jobs rather than managerial positions. The reasoning behind this could be that the employer will only offer these positions. I was surprised to learn that many countries look at women as temporary employees and not as long term assets as they do males. They take this stance because they believe that most women will eventually have children and leave the position anyway. I was surprised as well as pleased to know that some European countries have government funded childcare that assists working mothers, both single and married. I believe our government should certainly look into having this sort of program for women in order to ensure that women in our society will become more of a long term asset to a company rather than just a temporary quick fix or hire. I found that women moving up in society and throughout the business world have a hard time moving up in this environment. Many women in Asian countries have come together and raised enough money to move to the city and get employment. they help each other out and eventually raise enough money to move back to the country side and live a modest life from there. I believe that gender inequality is horrible and unjust. I think that women should be offered better positions and help each other out like the women in Asian countries in order to ensure that more women will get offered these higher positions but in the United States even many women have grown to be selfish and not look out for one another. It seems that everyone is out for themselves in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment